What's In Your Box?
August 29, 2014, 06:08:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the WiYB forums!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Java Programming  (Read 8783 times)
WalterofHyrule
Users

View Profile WWW
« on: April 23, 2009, 10:44:19 PM »

So, I've been doing some hobby programming in Java, and it's pretty cool. I tried C++ a long time ago, and found it pretty difficult, but that was quite a long time ago. Recently, about 4 months ago, I gave Java a try, and I have to say, I love this language Cheesy Anyone else do any programming in Java?

shoegoo
Administrator
Users

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 03:36:29 PM »

That's the language UA uses for the first 2 years of CS curriculum.  Do you use Eclipse or Netbeans or something?

WalterofHyrule
Users

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 03:50:25 PM »

Yeah, I use NetBeans currently, since I found it to be pretty useful.

ph33nd
Users

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 08:39:40 PM »

It's a trap! Learn a useful language. Smiley If you like managed code, try C#, or bite the bullet, set your self apart, and learn C++.  That's the problem these days.  Programming skillfully is no easy task, so I'd highly suggest taking the hard route here.  Besides, embedded coding is where its at, and thats mostly in C, C++, or some other horrible language.

shoegoo
Administrator
Users

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 11:02:41 PM »

It's a trap! Learn a useful language. Smiley If you like managed code, try C#, or bite the bullet, set your self apart, and learn C++.  That's the problem these days.  Programming skillfully is no easy task, so I'd highly suggest taking the hard route here.  Besides, embedded coding is where its at, and thats mostly in C, C++, or some other horrible language.

I actually think Java isn't bad, and I really like C (it's probably my second choice behind Ruby these days).

ph33nd
Users

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 12:21:44 AM »

I actually think Java isn't bad, and I really like C (it's probably my second choice behind Ruby these days).

You would  Wink  but that's ok.  I actually designed and synthesized an FPGA this semester and C has an epic performance over Java any day.  Ruby is great cause it's got functionality built in, but if you want raw awesome power, build an FPGA and write your own version of assembly. That's my personal recommendation lolz.

WalterofHyrule
Users

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 12:32:27 AM »

I think that Java is pretty good for homemade projects of any solo-size scale I would ever do, but I also find it very similar to C++. I can always learn C++ at a later time, but I find Java to be more enjoyable to use than C++, which is more important in my opinion. The speed gap between Java and C++ is closing quite fast actually, and computers are getting faster quickly. I think in terms of development speed, Java has an edge up in that regard, and also it being easily ported to web and to other operating systems.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 09:44:37 PM by WalterofHyrule » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: